Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Horse, Of Course!

Eric's daughter Gabby turned 10 yesterday, and as many girls her age, is totally engaged with the idea of horses. Last summer, she was lucky enough to have been enrolled in Horse Camp at Foxfield Riding Academy and hopes to be able to repeat the experience this summer. Such is the power of the hoofbeat.

I, of course, relate to this obsession. I went through my horse phase too and had certain events not happened when I owned one, I might never have left. In fact, a couple of years ago I thought about taking some lessons just to see if I still could ride. Of course, that idea was met by universal disapproval by my doctors and since I saw the sense in their arguments, I decided not to pursue it.

Meanwhile, Gabby lives horse, breathes horse, spends every waking moment thinking about horses. She has a model barn in her bedroom,
and almost every time I see her on her computer, she is looking up horse web sites. So when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, it wasn't much of a leap for her to request a horse model. "A Breyer Horse Model?" I asked. With a happy nod of affirmation by the girl.

When people my age shake their heads in disapproval at the antics of kids today, I know that they are not seeing that things have not changed all that much. The cosmetics and fashions have come of age with the young set (yes, they're horrible) but if you get back to the fundamentals such as personality, they're pretty much the same as us. I collected Breyer Horse Models when I was young as did my sister Adele. And most of our friends. And now Gabby wants them too.


My favorite one, growing up, was the Palomino, and that was before Rose - a real Palomino Mare - came into our lives. But when I went to KB Toys, they had very few models on their shelves.

One struck me as appropriate, though. The Arabian. And so that's what I bought.


Apparently I did well, too. I got a phone call from Gabby last night to thank me, and then Eric came on the line afterwards. Gabby had told him that "that was the particular model that she really wanted." Of course, I don't know if that's the one that she wanted before she got my gift or afterwards, but it doesn't matter. It's a horse, the best horse I can do, and it's hers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails