Friday, February 1, 2008

What's for Dinner?

Last Wednesday night, I enjoyed Eric's company for dinner. As we usually do, we ate in at my home. That required some early preparation.

I started by cutting up a lot of different vegetables in my refrigerator. Sweet Potato, Red potato, Celery, Carrot, and Onion. Red Bell Peppers, Beets, and I forgot what else. I put them in a casserole dish with fresh herbs from my garden. Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary. I skipped the Thyme because that plant wasn't looking so good. It needed time to rest.


I did mix about 1 TB of Olive Oil pressed with Lemon into the mix. Just for the flavor. Over the large amount of vegetables, the calories were inconsequential. The next time, I would probably also squeeze a fresh lemon in.


Once the vegetables were in the casserole, it was time to defrost the Salmon. I used to buy fresh, but learned that "fresh" is a misstatement. Fish are caught on large boats far off shore. They are immediately frozen until the ship comes home. "Fresh" fish is then defrosted for market, and "frozen" fish is left in it's state from onboard.
Since frozen is much less expensive than fresh, that is the direction that I go. I favor Costco fish, not only for the price, but also because it comes in prepackaged portion sizes.
I put them in a baking dish and spread mustard on top.
I like Trader Joe's Hot and Sweet Mustard, but the original recipe called for Dijon. After the mustard, I put a layer of Italian Bread Crumbs.
To round out the dinner, I also prepared broccoli to steam.
Then it was time for the dogs dinners. Since I had run out of dog food and didn't have time to go to the market before Eric's arrival, they got to live good. I grilled up a chicken breast for each...
And added it to the sample Cat Food that I had snagged at Whole Foods. 100% of the dogs surveyed like Cat Food.
I baked the vegetable casserole in my oven at 350 degrees for a bit more than an hour. I added the salmon into the same oven for the last 20 minutes. The broccoli was steamed in Richard Simmons's steamer, along with apples for an apple sauce dessert.
The finished Salmon.

The finished casserole.
Broccoli.
And Eric, trying on the very wig that I wore in Party Off the Pounds! He is going to borrow it next weekend to wear to his daughter's Father-Daughter dance. The theme is 60's Feeling Groovy. I think he is connecting to his inner rock star.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL...Well the dinner looks delish.and Your man looks hip..(I think)

hugs

hot tamale said...

I agree. Eric looks groovy man, far out! All he needs is a pair of bell bottoms, platform shoes and love beads! Man, makes me wish I was going to the dance! I'd put on my angel flights, blow dry my hair like Farrah used to with the "wings" on the side of my head, roll a big fat doobie and off to the dance we'd go! LOL ahh the good ol days! Hey, I grew up in the 70's, what do ya expect? LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails