Saturday, October 4, 2008

Making It

All through this week, I had one out-of-the-home goal in mind. I wanted to go to Slimmons today.

It was a craps shoot at best. I am far from being well, running significant temperatures nightly and often during the day, and very weak. Last week I attempted GLASG, my spinning guild with mixed results. But truth be told, it was so nice to get out of my home (read out of my bed), that for all the negative physical responses, it was worth it. And so with trepidation, I planned in my mind to make an escape this morning.

To go to exercise class when I'm in this condition, on the face of it, is nuts. But Slimmons is an unusual place, and everyone there is quite familiar with my physical challenges. I'd been quite startled by an e-mail correspondance that I had with one of my classmates (read friend) earlier this week, and wanted to go even more because of it. But I was dubious. And so I didn't tell anyone other than Eric of my plans; didn't even e-mail Richard. I didn't want people expecting me and then me not showing up. There is very little that is ruder than being stood up. This is something that I have had a little experience with.

Last night was a good night. Unusual for me, I didn't have a fever, I didn't have night sweats, and I actually fell asleep within a reasonable time frame of taking my nighttime pills. I woke up at 7:30 which gave me a little over two hours to prepare. After laying in bed for about 45 minutes procrastinating, watching the news on TV, and finally being driven out by children's programming, I showered and put my make-up on. Made Oatmeal with 1 Cup Blueberries & 1 TB Raw Sugar for breakfast. Fed the dogs (before eating my own meal). Made my bed. At a quarter to ten, I left for the 45 minute Saturday-morning drive.

I was already fatigued upon leaving. Wondered at the wisedom of this move. Kept driving. But halfway through Coldwater Canyon - yes gals, "The Canyon' - somethng odd happened. I was listening to I-can't-remember-which radio station, contemplating turning around and coming back home, then a string of familiar songs were played all in a row. Not just familiar. Right out of
"Party Off the Pounds". The video that Richard asked me to participate in that was a watershed moment for me and changed my life. As Wendy always says, "It's a sign." I was meant to continue and attend. So I continued on.

Upon arrival, I happily greeted many that I knew, and was also astounded at how many new people had come through the doors. That's both a strength and weakness of Slimmons... the ever-changing cast of students. But I suppose the shuffling of faces is probably the same at all exercise forums and, in fact, I suspect worse in many. It's comforting to me to know that so many have stuck around over the years.

And so I attended "Project Me" and, not completely wasted, "Sweat" class. Don't get the 2nd part wrong. I am not capable of putting out enough energy right now to actually sweat. I spent a little of it shuffling around in slow speed, and more of it planted in a chair doing nothing. But even with the output of energy, I left with more than I came with, was able to do a little West Side shopping, and was home by 2;30.

I won't lie to you. I now feel like I've been run over by a truck. But it was all worth it. No kidding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh HAPPY DAY!!!!!

i'm so happy for you..I'm just so stinkin' happy for you.

Love you...

Becky said...

I'm really glad you were able to make it. Then on top of it to accomplish even more than you planned for the day. I could feel the excitement in your post. You are making the recovery that you had feared you wouldn't have the strength to do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails