Friday, October 10, 2008

Artist's Meeting

One of the things that I love the most about Slimmons is that you never know who you're going to meet there. Richard draws people from many walks of life. There are famous people - I'm not a name dropper as a rule but the TV appearance of Ricki Lake at Slimmons last fall was not a one-time publicity stunt - as well as professionals from many walks of life. A Doctor, a legal eagle, a college professor, a fashion designer all can be counted amongst my friends. Also several nurses, children's teachers and advocates in many fields, and so on and so on. I'm the schlump in the crowd, being a child of disability for so many years.

But my friends and classmates don't see me that way at all because I do my best to remain productive. They think of me as an artist (few of them know of my published writing 'career' or my past in Motion Picture Studio Home Entertainment Management) and an equal. Believe me, I appreciate that. To my knowledge, though, I am the only artist in the crowd. At least I was until last night.

Enter Hanna. "Hanna-Bananna" her father Greg said. Hanna is 12 years old, in the 9th grade, and she made her own bag. Before we met, I eyed it across the table we sat at in the lobby even as she eyed some of my own work (I was showing it to Sue). Eventually, Diane came in and since she is much more effervescent and outgoing than I, she got the official round of introductions started.




Hanna was extrordinary during class. I know; I watched her. This was only my 2nd foray back into the world of exercise since the last round of major illness. I spent most of my time planted in a chair rather than dancing. I observed what everyone was doing.

But Hanna is extrordinary in another way.

I wasn't eyeing her bag for no reason. She is good. Very good. I saw real talent there available to be developed further in the future. I saw the creative spirit embodied in the way she dressed. And, as her father told us proudly, she is already starting a business making tutu's. All she wants to do now is go to Mr. Chow's restaurant in Beverly Hills so that she can find a celebrity willing to wear one and get her business off of the ground. A spectacular idea, if I say so myself.

Somehow, I have a feeling that Hanna may end up being a major designer of the future. She has the talent, and she also has the business sense that is necessary. I wonder how young they allow contestants on Project Runway to be?

1 comment:

Wilda said...

Laura
You are right Hanna does have some talent there glad that you had the chance to meet her.
Wilda

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails