Sunday, July 6, 2008

Le Tour De Fleece



After learning about Le Tour De Fleece through the blog of The Yarn Harlot, it didn't take much of a leap for me to subscribe. My energy, especially my creative energy which while on the face of it seems an essential in my life but compared to things like eating and wearing clean clothing takes a back seat - is low. I've tried beading and weaving and even knitting, but I don't seem to have the fortitude to get it done right now. So it's back to basics. Spinning yarn.

Spinning is a good activity for somebody who either is or wants to be brain dead. I remember the last time I was on mega doses of steroids. Spinning at a furious rate in 3 in the morning for a couple of hours because I could not sleep and was too aggitated to even watch TV. Fortunately, I am not in that high state of anxiety at this point, but the ongoing treatments leave me weak and lethargic. Spinning at a lower intensity is a good - and productive - way of filling in time.

Which brings me back to Le Tour De Fleece. It runs simutaneously with The Tour De France bicycle race. Spinners from around the world are welcome to set their own challenges for the time frame - July 5 through July - I think - 29th, and if we complete the challenge, we receive a button to be posted in our blog. This year's Tour's only requirement is that we have to use fiber that we already have in our stash. That's not a problem. I have a lot of fiber.

I settled on some green merino (wool for the uninitiated) and silk top, having started spinning it around a year ago and then getting waylaid in other projects. I had completed about 12 ounces before abandoning it... I have around a pound left to go. Although getting it done in the time frame may be challenging for somebody in my state of health, it is do-able, and I am going to do it.

I'm planning to do something about my camera next month (next month starting on July 8th when my check arrives). I will be supplying photo documentaries as soon as I have one.

In the meantime, happy spinning.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails