Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Whole Foods

Not all Whole Foods Markets are equal. Until a couple of weeks ago, I thought they were all in small spaces; very expensive without much unique. That's what they're like in the San Fernando Valley. Boutique food at outrageous prices for the Entertainment People to shop at. But at my Weight Maintenance Class - in Santa Monica - they kept talking about things that they were buying at Whole Foods, none of which sounded familiar to me, so since there was one right by St. John's Hospital (where the class is held, yes the St. John's that Elizabeth Taylor stays in), I thought I'd stop by and see if I could hunt out Gnu Bars, etc. What a shock I got when I went in!


First of all, it's huge! As in about the same size as my local regular market. Then, the customer base seemed very affluent and sophisticated, but definitely not actors. Way too much roundness and small children for that. And then the selection of food was like nothing I've seen before.
I admit that I was intrigued by the fact that in their Roast Chicken case, they not only had whole roast chickens, but also whole roast turkeys. Big turkeys. As in enough for a Thanksgiving feat, except that there was no stuffing in the cavity. There was also Baccloa Salted Cod which I have to admit really intrigues me. It's just in a basket, not wrapped up or anything, and out there to grab by the fin or tail. What exactly are you supposed to do with it? I have to admit that I may go back and discuss this topic more thoroughly with the personnel there. I'd ask about it at Slimmons but I'd probably get a cross-eye'd look and some kind of derogatory comment about what I eat. I could ask about it at my maintenance class, but I already know that salt isn't good for me. I don't use a lot in my diet. Yet I remain intrigued by that fish. It was as hard as a rock. Like the salt sucked out all the moisture which it probably did.


Then there was the produce department. Edible flowers in a market? I haven't seen that anywhere except Farmer's Markets.



And the mushrooms! Of course, there were the usual types. Button, Crimini, Portebella. But there were mushrooms there that I had never even heard of let alone seen. So I present to you now, a gallery of mushrooms.
The brown leafy looking stuff at the bottom of the picture? Wood Ear's Mushrooms. $4.99 per pound.


Maitake Mushrooms. $29.99 per pound.


King Oyster Mushrooms. $19.99 per Pound.


Fresh Shitake Mushrooms. $12.99 per pound.


Bluefoot Mushrooms. $39.99 per pound.


Chanterelle Mushrooms. $29.99 per pound.



In the spirit of trying new foods out, I decided that I should try one Chanterelle Mushroom. It was the one that I was most curious about, being that there was an extensive discussion about mushrooms in general and specifically the Changerelle Mushroom in the book that I recently read, Omnivore's Dilema. I decided to try it in a soup that I had also decided to experiment with. Carrot Ginger Soup from Trader Joes.


At 80 calories per cup, the soup was ok. Needed something, so I added Tobasco. The mushroom was excellent! Kind of nutty with a nice texture. But at $29.99 per pound, I won't be buying it again any time soon. Still, it's nice to know.


And that's the extent of my food adventures today. I've finished defrosting Blackberries (also from Trader Joes) in preparation for pie baking in the morning. Then, off to Thanksgivng dinner with a real family and a real celebration. Should be interesting.


Have a very happy Thanksgiving. Blog at ya soon!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails