Thursday, March 4, 2010

Friends

Most of my closest friends live far away.  That makes it really difficult to know what is really going on with them.  I know some of them are doing well; others are struggling.  The problem is that when one is struggling, it's a natural tendency to want to keep it to yourself.  Not burden your friends.

How do I help friends who are in a dark place when I'm not really even sure what is happening with them?  When I don't know if I'm getting the truth or only partial truths.  Am I supposed to help, or is the best way of being a friend during these times is to just shut up and listen?  Even when stories don't make sense or don't correlate with one another?

I've always been a very straight shooter.  I call it as I see it.  But sometimes that's not the appropriate response, as another friend pointed out to me last night.  Sometimes it's just best to go with the flow, be a shoulder to cry on, and that's it.  I wish I knew what the best course of action for me and my friends was.

All I know is that I am struggling too.  Struggling to know how to be the best friend possible in a situation where I don't know what is best.

31 posts in 31 days; Today is day 4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh...I just had this comment all typed out hit enter and it said error.

I encourage you to speak up with me. you see things in me before I do. call it wisdom, experience, or just intuition...I love you for being so honest with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails